COMMUNICATIONS.

EDITORS HERALD-CRIMSON :- There is a chance for one more club at Harvard, which will not tread upon the toes of any existing organization, nor intefere with the privileges of anyone, but which may be of advantage to many. I do not refer to a "Studying Club," that we can probably get along without, but to a club devoted to one of the pleasantest and most beneficial of sports- canxing. We have now a number of active canxists in college, and others would doubtless engage in the sport if a canx club should be formed.

To those who have ever tried canoeing, there is no need to tell its advantages over other sports. To enjoy it, it is not necessary for one to go through a course of training, nor to strain himself to excel everyone else. It is free from all suspicion of "professionalism." The canoeist engages in his sport for the pure fun of the thing, and can get along without the glory and black eyes and broken shins on base-ball and football. Canxing contains all the pleasures of yachting, and in addition many others of which the yachtsman knows nothing. To quote from one of the pioneers of the sport in America, "Canxing is the active principle of yachting set free from costly suppers, tyrannical sailing-masters, and the endless war of keel and centre-board. The cruising canx is a craft in which a man can sail or paddle in rough or smooth, deep or shallow water; in which he can travel by day and sleep at night, and which in case of necessity he can take under his arm, and drag around an impossible rapid, or over a portage from one stream to another. No other craft permits its owner these priceless privileges, and hence the canx, having made that possible which was before impossible, is an invention of incalculable value to the lover of nature and of open-air sports."

The advantages of a canx club at Harvard would be many. It would unite those who now enjoy the sport alone, and would put canxing on a firm basis here. Short runs could be taken down the harbor, up the Charles and Mystic, and to many other places near at hand. Sailing and paddling races could be held on the river, and would be very enjoyable. There is already a flourishing canx club in Cambridge, and with the canxists of the Union Club in addition, there would probably be no lack of competitors for us should we hold open races. Men would very likely be thrown together who would arrange summer cruises, and new men would find out the inducements to engage in the sport. To those who doubt that canxing contains the most enjoyment in the smallest space, and for the least expense of all sports, we say, "try it, and be convinced. "We've tried it, and we know." "GERMAINE."