LETTER FROM MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY.

[From our Regular Correspondent.]

SOPHOMORIC TYRANNY-BASE BALL-THE CHRONICLE.

The class of '84, so noted for unusual actions, has just given a new sensation to the student community at Ann Arbor. On last Friday evening the freshmen met to indulge in the wild dissipation of a class supper, and to listen to the lofty eloquence of their chosen orators. At half-past nine about thirty couples had assembled, and all was in readiness for the evening's entertainment, when it was discovered that the president, orator and toastmaster were absent. Without these important functionaries nothing could be done, so all proceedings were blocked for about an hour, when, becoming anxious, a committee was sent in search of the lost ones. The report of this committee was harrowing in the extreme. The rooms of the unfortunate absentees were found in great disorder, showing signs of a desperate struggle; and upon further inquiry it was discovered that the young ladies who expected to accompany the missing trio to the supper, had become convinced that they were fickle youths and had retired to soothe their disappointment in slumber.

This report did but little to clear up the mystery, and matters were still in this distressing condition when, breathless and dishevelled, the orator burst into the room. The tale of violence was soon told. Overwhelmed by numbers, the freshmen had been captured by sophomores and conveyed to a solitary house on the verge of the town, where their captors had intended to confine them until day. The orator alone escaped, whether by superior muscle or by his impassioned appeals to the sophomores for liberty, is not known.

Notwithstanding that two of their brethren were in durance vile the freshmen went on with their supper. Much as they hungered for sophomore gore they hungered more for the already long delayed supper, and so, waging a war of words against the sophomores, they quietly submitted. Yet blood is in the air, and '85 will soon attempt to erase this stain.

The University ball nine are now on their Western trip, playing games with Madison, Racine and Evanston, for the college championship. If they succeed in winning it they will probably go East to try conclusions with the older colleges.

The sophomore supper was held on the 19th of May, and passed off smoothly. About twenty-five couples were present.

The annual election for Chronicle editors was held on May 20. It resulted in throwing disgrace on the association, and in making the will of a majority of the subscribers subservient to the machinations of a few politicians. The obviously partisan character of the president and board of directors enabled them not only to arrange the voting lists to their best advantage, but also to silence all protests from their opponents.

It is stated that a new paper is to be started in opposition to the Chronicle. Your correspondent knows nothing definite on this subject, but can see the need of such a paper. Leaving all political views out of the question, a little healthy competition would be highly beneficial to the Chronicle.

INDEX.