Corporation Names Hedges To Fill Schlesinger Vacancy

Brown Professor To Conduct History 30 This Year

J. B. Hedges, professor of History at Brown University, has just been appointed by the Corporation to give History 30, a seminar on the History of the United States from 1865 to 1885 during the coming year. The first meeting of the course will be held Friday afternoon at four o'clock in Widener J.

Professor Hedges has been secured to carry on the work of Arthur M. Schlesinger, professor of History, who is absent on sabbatical leave. It is understood that this course will also supplant that of Samuel E. Morison '08, professor of History on Manuscript materials on American Colonial History, which is to be omitted during the second half year.

For many years Professor Hedges has been a leading authority on American Railroad History. Not only has he taught this subject, but he has written many articles and pamphlets on it. His principal contribution in this field is a volume on Henry Villard and the railways of the northwest, published several years ago, and still considered one of the most authoritative sources on that period.