DINING HALLS TO MAKE NO PROFITS DURING 1933-34

Expected To Attempt Savings Where Possible In Order to Retain Plan For At Least a Year

Prospects of financing the Temporary Student Employment Plan for another year with University dining hall profits had definitely to be abandoned yesterday when A. L. Endicott '94 comptroller of the University, stated that profits cannot possibly be realized this year from operation of the dining halls. It has been understood for some time that the combined lowering of University food prices and rise in general food prices would cut seriously into the profits of University dining halls during the current year.

New Sources Necessary

Since the Temporary Student Employment Plan is being financed through the first two years of its existence by a participation to the extent of $80,000 in the profits of the dining halls during 1931-32 and 1932-33, the Plan must either be discontinued next year, or else a new source of $40,000 will have to be found to keep it alive.

It is believed in informed circles that President Conant will move heaven and earth to discover some means of perpetuating the Plan for at least another year, by economizing elsewhere in the University.

Rates Dropped Steadily

Dining hall rates, starting at $9.50 a week for 21 meals in 1931-32, were lowered in 1932-33 to $9 a week, and now, in 1933-34, have further been lowered to $8.50 a week. Profits were maintained during 1932-33 despite the lower dining hall rates in that year because the general price level of food had fallen correspondingly. Now, however, when dining hall rates are at their lowest, general food prices are rising sharply, and even threaten a net loss to the University from operation of the dining halls until it can readjust its rates in accordance with the new price level.