VARSITY SOCCER TEAM RALLIES TO DOWN STAR GRADUATE OUTFIT, 4-2

GROVER TALLIES TWICE, STORK AND MANHEIMER ONCE

Playing a team of individual stars, the Varsity soccer eleven defeated a graduate outfit, 4-2 yesterday afternoon on the Business School backfield. Coach John F. Carr, Jr. '28, was still experimenting with his forward line, but Richard S. Baxter '34, and Leon H. Manheimer '36 will probably start in the outside positions in the game against Amherst tomorrow afternoon.

Sydney T. Dawson, Jr. '36 was sent in at right outside yesterday, only to be replaced by Philo F. Willetts '36. The competent Edward Motley, Jr. '36 played in place of Manheimer, while Gordon C. Streeter '34 substituted at right half. Frank H. Kingsley, Jr. '35 and Ferdinand R. Stent '36 were used as fullbacks, substituting for Captain William Wemple '34, who was on the sidelines through the entire practice today because of a broken blood vessel.

George F. Stork '35, Crimson right inside, and Melvin G. Grover '35 both tallied for the Varsity, while Harvard H. Broadbent '32, Jayvee coach, and Noobar R. Danielian '28, Freshman soccer mentor, both scored for the graduates. Alan T. T. Schumacher '32, last year's captain, and J. P. Faude '31, former all-American goalie and second Freshman coach, played for the old men, as did Paul J. Catinella '32 and John B. Wight, Jr. '32, Charles S. Kelley, 3rd '36, and John W. Kellogg '36, Jayvee players, filled in the graduates' team.

The summary: HARVARD  GRADUATES Nichols, England, g.  g., Faude Stent, Gummere, r.f.b.  l.f.b., Catinella Gummere, Kingsley, l.f.b.  r.f.b., Clark Morrill, Streeter, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Kellogg Dorman, Morrill, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Brimo Vincent, l.h.b.  r.h.b., English Dawson, Willetts, r.o.f.  l.o.f., Mears Clos, r.i.f.  l.i.f., Broadbent Grover, c.f.  c.f., Danielian Stork, l.i.f.  r.i.f., Kelley Manheimer, Motley, l.o.f.  r.o.f., Schumacher

Score--Harvard 4, Graduates 2. Goals--Grover 2, Manheimer, Broadbent, Stork, Danielian. Referee--John F. Carr, Jr. Time--Four 15-minute periods.

Corner Kicks

Coach Jack Carr is using a green ping-pong board as a miniature soccer field to demonstrate new plays to the Varsity squad this year. It is a much photographed brainchild of Carr's and is provided with specially-made wooden frames to protect the corners from injury.

* * *

The Varsity team lost all interest in soccer during the M.I.T. game last Saturday when a stream of unmentionable expletives issued from the Engineers' forward line, notably from the Spanish center forward.

* * *

Richard C. Johnson '36, potential number one substitute in the Sophomore half-back line, has switched to fall track.

* * *

Inside left forward George F. Stork '35 has scored half of the Crimson's 14 goals so far this season.

* * *

Yesterday Carr got Dawson, Clos, and Morrill over in a corner and Vincent, Stork, and Manheimer over in another to explain a triangle passing formation. Apparently Carr would like more cooperation on the attack and less "diddling" with the ball.

Corner Kicks

* * *

* * *

* * *

* * *