CHACO TIN WAR

The unofficial war between Bolivia and Paraguay is now entering its second month. So far it has followed the customary pattern. Outwardly it is being fought by both sides for glory and for Fatherland. Shorn of its patriotic tinsel it appears as a simple case of imperialistic rivalry, this time with British and American tin interests using the two countries as cats-paws. Not often does one find so clear an example of bitter economic struggle and shoddy nationalism to veil it.

The territory in dispute is the Chaco. This strip of land is vitally important to Bolivia and the American exporters, for it provides a short cut to the sea. The English, since they own and operate the railroad running over the old, longer passage to the coast, are solidly behind the Paraguayans who are attempting to retain the Chaco. The usual war hysteria has camouflaged this primary issue and added oil to the flames. Horror stories and parades have done their insidious work on the mob mind, until it has seemed to both nations that nothing but national pride and honor are at stake. While this psychological situation persists, there is no hope for peace. There can be no real armistice until the foreign investors decide that their capital and brains are needed elsewhere. Short of this, waving the olive branch is useless, however graceful.