HANFORD OUTLINES PLAN USED BY HOUSE MASTERS

APPLICANTS ARE CONSIDERED IN ORDER OF THEIR CHOICE

The following article was written by A. C. Hanford, Dean of the College, as an outline of procedure to be followed by Masters in selection of members of the Class of 1936 for the Houses.

Because of certain questions that have been raised and an apparent misunderstanding on the part of some Freshmen, it seems desirable to outline briefly the procedure that is to be followed in the selection of members of the Class of 1936 for the various Houses. As soon as the student has made up his mind as to his preferences, and in any case before April 15th, he should file at Room C, University Hall, the application blank which has recently been sent to him. These blanks will not be accepted by the Masters or their representatives directly. Each blank is forwarded from Room C to the Master of the House mentioned as first choice, who after considering the field of concentration, scholarship, maximum price of room, and other pertinent data decides whether or not the student can be accepted. If the application is rejected, it is sent to the Master of the House of the second choice, and so on. Blanks on which no preferences are expressed are divided among the different Houses for consideration. As soon as possible after the closing date for application--April 15th--the Masters will meet together to talk over their tentative lists before notifying men regarding the Houses to which they have been assigned. In making the final selections, the aim is that each House shall represent, so far as possible, a cross section of the College as regards fields of concentration, scholarship, activities, schools, and geographical representation.

In order that every student may receive equal and fair consideration and in order that each House may have an even chance, the Masters have agreed among themselves that no Freshmen shall be selected until after the final date for receiving applications and that no promises or commitments regarding admission shall be made in advance. Members of 1936, therefore, cannot be told until after April 15th whether or not they may be admitted to a particular House. All that the Masters or their representatives can do until that date is to learn of a man's desires, explain to him what rooms are available, and give him general information and advice.

In addition to the Masters and their representatives, the Freshman advisers, proctors, and the Assistant Deans will be glad to give Freshmen general information and to help them determine the basis on which they should make their choice of a House. The secretary in Room C, University Hall, will also be glad to answer routine questions