SIC TRANSIT.

Continuing its embarrassing inquiries into the more shadowy closets of the nation's banking circles, the Senate Committee has announced itself ready to turn the searchlight on the House of Morgan. The investigation has been temporarily halted until the Senate grants additional power to the Committee. This is seems likely to do, in view of the ready support it has given so far. Washington has shown that though it may be Wall Street's mistress, love blows alternately hot and cold.

While the recent inquisitors by the Senators and their aides have been remarkably successful in clearly exposing the dirty linen of the financiers, the pending case will offer much more difficulty. Morgan is a power far greater than any the Committee has yet tackled. Harriman and Mitchell are amateurs beside him. Nor will he be hampered in defending himself as the others were by the failure of his banks. He is prepared to defend himself. Still another consideration takes away some of the exhilaration that this attack on the "money-changers" would ordinarily cause. It seems only too probable that it is being offered up as a sop to the Western wolves. Since the days of the Populist movement and before, any anti-Wall Street steps have been hailed with glee by God's countrymen. It may be that Morgan, after a widely publicized prosecution, will be fined for walking on the grass or for missing an item on his income tax report.

But whether the old of the Street in the end ovades the law, or is gently rapped ever the knuckles, there is reason for feasting and merry-making. Enough that for a day or a month the House of Morgan will stand before the world shorn of its awful respectability, its soundness, its pompous righteousness. For awhile at least, the mighty will be on trial in a position exposed to the insinuations and questionings of the vulgar people with whose money he has been playing.