THE ADVISER IN RELIGION

Last Monday it was announced that the position of Adviser in Religion had been abolished; it was created three years ago, as an experiment, and has been held since its inception by the Reverend T. L. Harris, who will continue to fulfill its duties until the end of the term. The place was originally created to provide a full time pastor with whom students could consult, and who could handle the other religious problems arising in the University; it was abolished, because of the necessity for economy.

The removal of the position has been criticized for two reasons: in the first place, Mr. Harris has handled his duties in a thoroughly component manner, and has gone beyond the more letter of his contract, expanding and adding to this functions; in the second place, many feel that existence of the position as it now stands is necessary. The first of these points is indisputable; the second is largely disproved. The Adviser handles every year about ninety cases; he aids the visiting preachers in their work, and cooperates with the Cambridge clergy. These duties, as they stand, are not extensive, and could to some extent be taken care of by other departments of the University When these facts are contrasted with the salary of the Adviser, which is that of an Assistant Professor, it becomes evident that the abolition of the place was a wise move.

While the various tasks accomplished through the position as it now exists do not justify it, it might be further altered and enlarged so as to fill a real need. In Harvard, because of its size and disjointed nature, some unifying and stabilizing influence is sorely needed, particularly among those students who have not yet located themselves quite firmly enough in the Cantabrigian firmament. By means of such an influence, the value of an education is enhanced for those who are naturally slow starters; incipient mental troubles may be avoided in some cases; and finally, there is added to the University a source of mature counsel within easy reach of the undergraduate, which has hardly, existed since the time of Dean Briggs.

The position of Adviser in Religion, even as improved by Mr. Harris, is not worth its salt, but something along similar lines definitely is needed; the obvious method of attaining to this improvement is to reorganize the advisory departments of the University in general, removing any sinecures and any overlapping positions which may exist. Such places as that of the consultant on Careers are of little real use, and might well be incorporated into a better calculated and expanded position; the baby deans, while they are effective in handling the cases of academic routine, and in issuing threats against offenders, are of little or no service in advising undergraduates; this portion of their task should be turned over to a recognized office instead of being handled, as at present, in helter-skelter fashion. The Adviser in Religion, under another name, with a larger field of action, and no longer doing the work of other men, nor having his work done by them, would be a decided benefit to Harvard: in view of the fact that the present incumbent has done such excellent work in his capacity, he would be the logical choice for the new office.