Night and Day

The tale is told of one ambitious male at Summer School who is not satisfied to smart under two courses at Harvard, but is also enrolled in a brace at S. U. He leaves his ten o'clock in Sever at 10.48 and arrives at his S. U. eleven o'clock at 11.08 by a model T incidentally.

So far the Yard Cops have not been troubled by the "Reinharts" which usually ring in the Yard before examinations. Gullible girls from Guilford have been told that Reinhart was the name of soup served in the dining halls and that when students were hungry they would shout Reinhart. Another, who must believe that hardware stores sell red lamp oil and vanishing points, was told that Reinhart was an old German pedler from whom the boys used to buy cigarettes and candy. He was really an unpopular boy who never had anyone shout outside his window for him, so he used to go out and call up to his empty room, until he was discovered.

Did you know that there are four summer school courses which occupy an hour and a half every day, and one that meets at 7.30 every morning? During the war, classes at Harvard began at 8 instead of 9 to get the students in bed earlier, to save light, to save coal, to win the war.

Unfortunately a number who went to the Observatory Thursday to see stars were sadly disappointed by the overcast skies. One eager maiden anxious not to miss the wonders of the heavens took a taxi in the Square directing the driver to the Harvard Observatory. "Hurry." Evidently the driver thought she was a budding Annie J. Cannon and set off on a thirty-mile drive to the Blue Ridge Observatory at Harvard, Mass. As soon as the meter read over $2.00, the astrophile began to wonder, but the fare was $5.40 from the Square to Bond Street.

There is one girl in the summer school who is taking a course in toxology a la Boston Record. She knows all about the Detroit negro who in 1921 was apprehended after having killed eight men by cyanide. He would sit opposite his victim in a restaurant, unfold his paper, and just drop a pill into their coffee. Incidentally, the girl is taking ten to one odds that Mrs. Costello is acquitted.

With visions of fame and gold medals on his expanding chest one student took to shells and determined to be the hero of the regatta. Of course, there was a woman in it. With patience that would have given early Christians martyrs nervous breakdowns he retired at 10, ate raw beefsteak with much champing of teeth and eschewed cigarettes. Yes, he picked the most popular race and came in last in his qualifying heat.

4200 people every day look at the steeple-jack repairing the spire of First Church Unitarian in the Square.