THE PANACEA

Although there has been some undergraduate complaint of certain features of the Summer School, an investigation has revealed that faults that exist in the teaching staff and the food are not to be blamed on the Summer School authorities.

At Harvard unfortunately the summer term must be entirely self supporting. Not only the salaries of instructors but even the cost of janitors service in classrooms must be paid from the tuition fees. Benefactors give large amounts of money to the University for purposes of doubtful value, but the Summer School has absolutely no endowment. Every possible improvement has been made by Summer School officials from their limited means, and they have done remarkably well, but it would be an inestimable advantage if the University were to consider the summer term as a portion of the regular semester, and exercise the same care in its administration that it does in the regular college year.

Last year the Summer School lost $20,000. This year reductions were necessary because of the curtailed enrollment, and have been made wisely. If the University were to assume responsibility for the Summer Session, financial fears would be removed, and a general improvement would be possible.