Victories of Hodder's Sextet Indicate Good Season Ahead

Varsity Pucksters Resume Action After Xmas in Short Series With Tigers at Lake Placid--High Calibre Team Is Built Around Captain Harding at Center

If the quality of the Varsity hockey squad can be judged by its performance in the opening games of the 1938-39 season, this year should be a successful one for the first Hodder-coached Crimson puckmen.

After tonight's game with Boston University at the Arena, the team will take a well earned rest until after Christmas. Then on December 27 it will leave for a non-league three-game "social series" with Princeton at Lake Placid.

Seriously damaged by the graduation of stars from last year and generally rated by preseason forecasters as a team of only fair potentialities, the Hoddermen have reversed these expectations in both of their games to date. Last Tuesday, without the services of Captain Austic Harding they beat a Junior Olympic team that had outplayed Yale a week before, and Saturday night they walked away from a fast Southern California six by a score of 6 to 2.

In recent years Crimson hockey teams have experienced a tendency toward individual stars with a resultant weakness in team unity. This year's squad has a very definite individual star in Captain Harding, probably the outstanding college player in the East, but Hodder has added to that a well-drilled team that performs excellently as a unit also. The problem of the defense, which was most badly weakened by graduation of mainstays from last year's six, seems to have been eliminated in a more than satisfactory manner through the work of Charlie Houghton, Win Jameson and Bill Coleman.

Harding has been the high scorer so far, despite the fact that he saw only a few minutes of action in the opener last Tuesday, with three goals and an assist to his credit. Close behind him are Patrick, Winslow and Eaton, who have each made two goals to date.