BIG SALARIES GIVEN LANDSCAPE GRADUATES

INFORMATION GAINED IN SURVEY BY QUESTIONNAIRE

All of the 149 graduates of the Department of Landscape Architecture who have remained in the landscaping profession, are employed, it was disclosed yesterday by Bremer W. Pond, Charles Eliot Professor of Landscape Architecture.

On the basis of information obtained by a questionnaire survey, Professor Pond reported that although landscape architecture is one of the smallest professions, it is one of the most highly paid. Recently there has been an increasing public demand for scientific designing of land areas.

Many in Federal Work

Average income of the Harvard graduate designers is $4,675 a year, with individual salaries ranging from $1,500 to $30,000. Salaries tend to rise with increase in experience. Young grads in their first three years average $2,500, while those with from 10 to 15 years' experience make $6,300.

The 72 graduates serving as experts for federal, state, or municipal government agencies comprise the largest group, Professor Pond reported. This work includes the planning of town, park, recreational, and highway areas. Forty- four men are in independent lines.

Numerous Famous Projects

The government men have done the George Washington Memorial Highway, the White House Grounds and the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial in Washington, and much of the World's Fair work in New York.

Graduates in independent work have designed Fort Tyron Park in New York, the Charles River embankment in Boston, and the grounds of Phillips Academy.

Nine graduates held important teaching posts in the Universities of Pennsylvania, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan, and Kansas State College