A FILM OF CULTURE

Harvard has always been a target for those opponents of static scholarship, who deplore the tendency of our older Universities to bury themselves in a ceaseless effort to cast new light on the art of past ages, and fail to recognize and foster the growth of contemporary art forms within their own walls. It is encouraging, therefore, to watch the growth within the University of two such groups as the Harvard Film Society and the Cinema Guild, concerned with the advancement of one of these forms.

Because of the energy and talent which it attracts, and the number of people it reaches, the motion picture industry has the materials to reach high artistic levels. The best of the foreign films show its potentialities in this direction. The quality of films in this country is lowered by the critical indifference of an unexacting and habitual audience. It is significant that the Cinema Guild, recognizing the need for thoughtful criticism of motion pictures, is planning a magazine towards that end. Unbiased and intelligent criticism of past and contemporary films is the best method for developing the critical faculties of the public. It is also their belief that a knowledge of what goes into the making of a film is essential for high critical standards. This can best be obtained from men active in the profession, and an organization which can bring such men to lecture at Harvard serves a useful purpose.

In addition the organizations will bring to Harvard the best foreign films and those of another generation of American movie-makers which are no longer shown in the commercial theatre. A glimpse into the future might show a carefully and intelligently movie-cultured audience of students here imbibing its American Civilization from celluloid documents preserved in the film library founded by the Guild.