INTER-HOUSE DEBATERS SEEK HIRED COACHES

Debating Council Questions Masters To Win Approval; Committee May Investigate

Paid coaches for the inter-House debaters next year is the plan sponsored by the Debating Council. At present the Council is polling the House Masters and Committees on their views before getting a Student Council committee to investigate the venture.

192 men from the classes of '39, '40 and '41 expressed their desire to take part in the debates next winter as the result of a questionnaire placed in the Union, all the Houses, and Apley, Claverley, and Dudley Halls. The number from each class was almost equal, while each House averaged about 15 men, except for Dunster, which trailed with only seven enthusiasts.

House Squads Will Be Formed

In the seven Houses, Dudley, and Apley-Claverley, nine rotating squads will be selected. From these groups will be chosen to debate before local church and civic groups. The decisions will be rendered by the votes of the audience.

Favor Political Questions

Interest in University affairs such as academic problems, curriculum and House plans, placed a close second to the usual political and economic questions in the poll to suggest topics for next year's debates, while philosophical and humorous subjects attracted little enthusiasm.