ALUMNI BULLETIN IN PRES. CONANT'S SUPPORT

Backs His Stand in Rejection of Walsh And Sweezy, Rejects Claim That Departments Misunderstood

Approbation of President Conant's policy was made by inference in the Harvard Alumni Bulletin editorial page when it quoted those parts of the report which were most favorable to the administration as the "significant sentences."

The Bulletin declared that "It seems to us that the significant sentences in the report are the following:" and then went on to quote the parts which absolved President Conant from any partiality towards Walsh and Sweezy because of their liberal views.

It also upheld the statement of President Conant in response to the investigating committee when he refused to reappoint the two men when it said, "the Corporation is of the opinion that it would be both unwise and impractical to follow the Committee's recommendations. We find no difficulty in accepting the judgment of the President and Fellows, in preference to that of the Committee, as to whether mistakes were made because of understandings among different departments of the University, whether President Conant's ruling in rgard to promotions was ill-advised, etc. Decision on these and related subjects should be made, we believe, by those who have to accept responsibility for them."