Big Green Big Favorite To Down Cantabs Here

Victory-less Indians Ready To Avenge Upset by Lehigh

By Woody Klein

CAMBRIDGE, MASS, October 28--The Indians war-whooped into Cambridge yesterday and before today's sun sets behind the Harvard Stadium teepee, the Big Green should have won its first victory on its ill-fated 1950 warpath. For the first time in the 54-year history of the Harvard series, Dartmouth enters the Stadium without a previous scalp but victory should be the Tribe's today.

Thrown off balance by having to prepare for, then recover from, the Michigan game, Dartmouth tied Holy Cross in its opener and lost to Michigan, Penn, and (ugh) Lehigh. Harvard, which has no Clayton and no Tuss, also has won no games, having been slaughtered by Columbia, Cornell, and Army. But Dartmouth still has its Clayton and its McLaughry. It should explode this afternoon.

Playing without the services of powerful fullback Bill "The Bull" Roberts, defensive stalwart Charley Curtis, and left guard Dick Price, the Tribe floundered to a 16 to 14 loss to a vastly underrated Lehigh at Honover last Saturday. The three injured stars now appear ready to go, according to Tuss, and they should give the Indians the depth was missing last week.

One thing is certain. Harvard will not run around the Big Green the way Lehigh did. They won't because the Crimson just doesn't have backs like Lehigh's Dick Doyne. Harvard coach Lloyd Jordan is trying to make rumors out of a pair of boys named (love that name) and Bobby Ray. Meanwhile Harvard must rely on classy full-back John West to handle the ground game.

Great Passes

The Cantabs have a classy passer in Carroll Lowenstein, a 160-pound hard-charging quarterback. Lowenstein is not a good runner, however, so Dartmouth's defense, porous in earlier games, should be able to spot the play when Harvard's number 41, carries the ball.

Lowoastein has a good arm, but he's not the aerial circus that Clayton is. The Chelmsford flash has a cross-bow right arm and throws beautiful bullet passes. Of course, ends Vince Marriott and John McDonald have been suffering from glue-fingertips but that Clayton--he's a football player's football.

Roberts, the Dubuque express, ran with the team in its Harvard Stadium workout yesterday and his play today should make a great difference in the Tribe's ground attack. Speedy Eddle lsbey seems to have regained his starting right halfback berth, but Al Relch will see plenty of action.

The Green also has the edge along the line in experience and speed. The thin Red Line of Harvard has played alert and some times ferocious ball according. Tribe scout Elmer Lampe. But usually tires in the second half it should crumble before the power of men like Paul Staley and Tom Eberle.

The Johnaies, who seem to be perpetually rebuilding, are at the again this season. Harvard drought in a new coach from Amhert, Lloyd Jordan and supposedly a new football policy. They didn't bring in a Clayton, however, and it should be several years before the Cantabs are re-admitted to the Ivy League.

Like a slowly awakening giant the Big Green showed anger last week. Today it will probably rise up the wrath to clobber the hapless Harvards. As Tuss so aptly put it last week--"Play ball"Finest quarterback in the business is the title held by the brilliant JOHNNY CLAYTON. This talented senior plays his third game in the Harvard Stadium today.