Improved Crimson Six Bows To Eagles in Overtime, 6-5

By James M. Storey

A very much improved varsity hockey team fought a strong B.C. sextet to a 5 to 5 tie in the regulation three periods last night at the Arena, only to bow in the sudden death overtime, 6 to 5. The Engles, rated the best team in New England with an eight and one record, had to come from behind before winning their second straight game from the Crimson.

Crimson coach Cooney Weiland praised his team after the game. "They're just hitting their stride," he said. "The whole team looks tremendously improved, and if they play like that, they can take anybody."

Bill Timpson opened the scoring early at 5:06 at the first period when he converted a Dick Clasby pass. Clasby took the puck on a breakaway at the blue-line, went up the center, and passed it to Timpson on the left who drove in a lift behind Eagle goalie Joe Carroll.

The Crimson scored again with B.C. one man down 50 seconds later when Jim Colt took a Job Bray passout from a mixup in front of the net, and shot it into the open cage. The Eagles got one back when Harvard was a man short on a three-man rush. Bob Babine converted a rebound after Crimson goalie Nate Corning had kicked out shots from both Wimpy Burtnett and Dick Dempsey. Just before the end of the period Nat Harris converted a pretty Clasby pass on a two-man rush to put the Crimson ahead, 3 to 1.

In the second period the Eagles tied it up when Jim Duffy and Bill Maguire both beat Corning on shots from a mixup in front of the cage. Then at 7:11 of the last period Amory Hubbard put Harvard ahead when he took a Bill Bliss pass, skated around the defense, and beat Carroll on a high lift. Eagle John Canniff tied it up again with the Crimson one man short on a rebound and B.C. went ahead when Joe Hosford soloed in from the right boards and beat Corning less than a minute later. Hosford hit the cage and separated his shoulder on this play.

Forty-eight seconds before the end of the third period Hubbard tied it up again on a pretty pass from Dick Clasby. At 2:14 of the overtime, however, Canniff took a passout from behind the net and knocked it in over Corning's stick for the game.