Council Picks Johnson Head, Asks Conant to Revoke Membership Rule

Elects Hoya Treasurer, Sheats Secretary; Sapers Considers Conant 'Sympathetic' to Plan

By David C. D. rogers

Richard E. Johnson '53 of Dunster House and Galesburg, Illionois, last night was elected president of the 1952-53 Student Council.

Thomas W. Hoya '53 of Kirkland House and Milwaukes, was chosen treasurer from a field of five, while the Council picked Paul D. Sheata '54 of Eliot House and Washington, D.C., as secretary.

The Council also voted to ask President Conant to revoke the membership rule requiring student organizations to file a list of at least 10 members with the Dean's Office. This essentially takes the matter over the heads of Dean Bender and Provost Buck, although both will be informed of the Council's move.

Dean Bender is chairman of the Faculty Committee on Undergraduate Activities which last Tuesday turned down the Council's petition that only the names of a group's officers be on file. Also, a club would only have to show, not give, the Dean's Office a membership list when applying to use University facilities.

Carl M. Sapers '53 proposed appealing to Conant rather than to the Provost "because the President's well-known position is extremely sympathetic to the Council's."

"I wonder if Conant is aware of the situation," Sapers queried, but added that the Council shouldn't argue with the President. The motion passed 15 votes to one with one abstention. When asked what Conant would do with the report, Chase N. Peterson '52 said he hoped the President would take it to the Corporation.

Little Competition

For a while it looked as if Johnson would be elected by acclamation, for Hoya declined nominations to run against him. Retiring President Richard M. Sandler '52 cautioned the Council to "hesitate before not having a contending candidate." Peterson thought much could be gained by discussion of nominees. Daniel L. Ritchie '54, Michael G. Yamin '53, and Sheats were then nominated for the post.

Comparatively, Johnson's election was a foregone conclusion. Last year the elections were held early to avoid politicking.