P.S. Teaching System Adds Eight Colleges

American public school teachers and American indians are closely related; every once in a long while some civic minded citizen will lodge a protest against the perennial hardships and injustices done to one or the other or both.

In an effort to induce more college graduates to enter teaching at the public school level, the Graduate School of Education last year began a program financed by the Fund for the Advancement of Education.

In its infancy 20 colleges, Amherst, Barnard, Bennington, Bowdoin, Bryn Mawr, Colby, Colgate, Haverford, Holy Cross, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Middlebury, Mount Holyoke, Radcliffe, Simmons, Smith, Swarthmore, Vassar, Wellesley, Wheaton, and Williams, joined with Harvard in support of the program.

Eight More

Yesterday eight more colleges. Bates, Brown, Connecticut College for Women, Dartmouth, Hamilton, Lafayette, Pombroke, and Sarah Lawrence, announced that they had thrown in with the original 21. In addition, the Fund granted an expansion of its financial grant.

Each of the colleges carries the responsibility of increasing the almost non existent interest in public school teaching as a career, relating, in an exposition manner, the undergraduate study program and the graduate study of education.

A fellowship plan enables graduates of the 29 colleges to spend a year at the University working towards the degree of Master of Education, for elementary school teaching, or Master of Arts in Teaching, for secondary school teaching. The emphasis during this year will be on a well-organized apprentice or internship experience.

The 29 colleges have agreed that there is a need for more information about employment opportunities in the public school system. They add also that they would like to remove the distrust, prevalent in the colleges, that liberal arts and science professors held for the teaching of "education."