College Conference Lauds 'Sachmo'

Tallulah Bankhead never showed up at Storyville yesterday to present the New England All-College Conference's arts award to Louis Armstrong.

But "Satchmo" was there, and with the aid of Tallulah's tape-recorded speech, Richard T. Watson '54, chairman of the Conference, presented the prize.

This is given, the scroll read, "in recognition and appreciation of your sincere and capable efforts in bringing to the free world of Europe a vital of the American cultural scene."

The scroll also cited Armstrong's contributions to the jazz form in this country.

"You have assisted the development of its form," it went on, "you have given it dignity and purpose both as a performer and a composer."

The presentation was made in advance of the New England All-College Conference: "The Arts in America, an Evaluation," to be held in April at Boston University.

In her recording, Tallulah mentioned, "Louie and his golden horn transcend nationality and race."

Tallu is Sorry

She apologized for not making the presentation, saying she would see Armstrong on her "All-Star Revue" television show Saturday.

To show his appreciation for the Conference honor, Armstrong played "Muskrat Ramble" on his trumpet.

Then, with the members of the press, he ambled over to a Boston University fraternity house, where he told three jokes.

The Conference, sponsored by the National Students Association, represents 87 colleges in the New England area. Last April its forum on foreign policy was held at Sanders Theatre.