Five Plays Cornell Tonight in Ithaca

Willing to try anything once, the varsity basketball team will travel to Ithaca, N.Y. to play league-leading Cornell at 8:15 p.m. tonight. The Crimson quintet will go into the contest still victoryless in Eastern League competition, having lost five E.I.B.L. games and won none.

The freshmen play Tabor Academy away tonight.

The same five men who started against Dartmouth last week will open against the Big Red Sophomores Ed Condon and Ed Krinsky will be the guards. Dick Lionette the center, and Gerry Murphy and Bill Dennis the forwards Condon, a small man with a long set shot, was high-scorer in the 59 to 57 loss to Dartmouth.

Cornell Spreads Out Scoring

Cornell, which defeated Penn, a team which was 35 points better than the Crimson, is remarkable for the even scoring power distributed among its starting five. The latest computation of Cornell point totals shows a difference of only three points per game between the highest and lowest scorers on the first team.

Guard Red Chadwick leads the Cornell team with an average of 11.5 points a game. Outside specialist Ray Handlan has been averaging 11, while six foot five center John Werner has 10.9. Fred Eydt, co-captain along with Chadwick, has been getting 9.3 points while guard Larry Goldsborough has been hitting at an 8.9 clip.

Cornell is a fast team, and Coach Royner Greene uses this speed by employing a clear-out offense which depends on one-on-one plays. The Big Red uses a man-to-man defense.