Professors Argue Education

College News in Brief

Pitirim A. Sorokin, professor of school, last night termed American universities as "first class factories the producing technicians," at the Adams House Forum.

In a discussion on the relative merits of European and American education, Sorokin, Robert Ulich, professor of Education, and visiting Professor Armand Hoog, from the University of Strasbourg, all expressed the opinion that the American educational system has a great many defects.

Sorokin continued, however, to say that "If I had to choose any system in any country. American education would be my choice." The greatest defect, he added, was that the "American school system pays little attention to training of character," which manifests itself in low moral standards, especially is the government.

The speakers reached the conclusion that American education, particularly in the universities, puts too much "pressure" on tests, grades, and attending classes, with the result that individual freedom and the creative spirit are suppressed. If fewer things were stressed, they declared, the student would have more time to "think."