Law School Aids Israel Judicial Code Revision

Minister of Labor Discusses Proposal

Israel's Minister of Labor, Mrs. Golda Meyerson, met with Law School officials yesterday to work out further details in the joint Harvard-Israel World School of Law project.

The venture is part of the Law School's new program of research into Comparative Law. It is specifically designed to aid the Israeli government in revamping the confused and unwieldy legal system now in practise. The present code is a potpourri combining Turkish, English, Hebrew, and Arabis judicial procedure.

By cooperating with Harvard, Israel feels that the new laws will be written in light of the world's best legal experience, giving it a judicial code joining the needs of a modern state, and the traditions of the Jewish people.

The selection of Harvard for this project was based on the extensive law library containing 400,000 volumes of Anglo-American Law, 350,000 volumes on foreign law, and the number of graduate law students from foreign countries.

The Law School sees a great opportunity in this plan since Comparative Law seldom receives a chance to operate on a large scale project such as this.

Joseph Laufer, formerly associated with the Department of Justice and director of this plan, has been working on the project since its inception in February. Laufer will spend a month each year in Israel, insuring a close contact with officials of the government.

Besides working on this project, the American-born Mrs. Meyerson is currently travelling through the United States speaking on the new Israel bond issue.