Yale Overtakes Sextet, Wins 4 to 3

Varsity Wilts After Furious 1st Period

By James M. Storey

NEW HAVEN, March 1--If Saturday night's hockey game at the New Haven Arena had ended after the first period, Cooney Weiland could have chortled over the varsity sextet's most brilliant performance of the season, and the Crimson would have won, 2 to 0. However, the game went the regulation three periods, Harvard wilted, and Yale scored four times to win, 4 to 3.

It was the Elis' 14th victory against seven losses, and keeps them in contention for the N.C.A.A. bid to play in Colorado. But in the first 20 minutes, the blue looked very little like Pentagonal League champs. The Crimson played rough, inspired hockey and kept the puck in its opponents' some throughout the period.

Walt Greeley scored the first goal at 14:13 when he slapped Amory Hubbard's pass over Eli goalie Pete Cruikshank's stick. Hubbard took the puck down the eight wing around the defense and gave Greeley a perfect goalmouth pass from the corner.

Crimson Gets Second

Just 32 seconds later the Crimson counted with its second tally when Bill Timpson converted a loose puck in front of the goal into another score.

In the second period it looked as if the two teams had changed shirts--Yale was now the aggressive unit, while Harvard held back in its own zone and let the Blue control the puck and take the offensive. Yale exploded with two goals within 32 seconds around the 16-minute mark. Archy Douglas flipped in a cross-risk pass from Dan Lufkin for the first one and Lufkin banged in the second.

Larry Noble scored the third Eli goal at 6:30 of the third period on a blueline shot that never left the ice. Two minutes later Douglas climaxed a Yale rush by backhanding home a loose puck which shot out of a goalmouth scramble.

Greeley got one buck for the Crimson at 19:17 on a picture-book play. He took a Dick Clasby pass and beat Cruikshank on a backhand lift. Welland took Richardson out in the last 15 seconds of the game and substituted a fourth wing, but the strategy failed.