Twelve Newsmen Named as Nieman Fellows for 1952

This year's Nieman Fellows have been chosen by the University. The awards--giving groups of newspapermen a year of free-land study at Harvard--go this year to twelve U.S. journalists, with three additional associate fellowships earmarked for writers from papers in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The new Niemans will be:

Arthur C. Barschdorf, reporter, Hammond (Ind.) Times. Native of Adams, Mass., he attended Williams College and Northwestern University night school. He plans to study the political and social problems of an industrial community.

Koyes Beech, Far East correspondent, Chicago Daily News. A Far East correspondent since 1947, he has covered the Korean War, was a Pulitzer prize winner in 1951. He plans to work in Harvard's regional studies program on the Far East.

Robert B. Frazier, reporter, Eugene (Ore.) Register-Guard. A graduate in jounalism of the University of Oregon, 1948. He plans to study sociology and psychology.

William Gordon, managing editor, Atlanta Daily World. He was graduated at LeMoyne College in 1947. He then joined the Atlanta Daily World, the only Negro daily in the South. He plans to study social and economic problems of the South.

Donald D. Janson, copy desk editor, Milwaukee Journal. He was graduated at the University of Missouri in 1943. He plans to study American history and politics.

Robert E. Lee, reporter, United Press Associations in Washington. A native of Newark, N. J., graduate of Amherst College. He plans to study history and politics.

Calvin W. Mayne, reporter, Rochester Times-Union. Born in Marion, Ohio, he was graduated from Ohio State University in 1948. He plans to study problems in local government.

Melvin Mencher, state political reporter, Albuquerque (N. M.) Journal, Born in New York, he was graduated at the University of Colorado in 1947. He plans to study anthropology, economics and sociology as a background for New Mexico problems.

Watson Sims, Associated Press correspondent, Chattanooga, Tenn. A native of Georgia, he was graduated at Tufts College in 1946 and received an M.S. degree at Columbia in 1947. He plans to study regional problems of the South in economics, sociology and politics.

William Stelf, reporter, San Francisco News. Born in Chicago, he was graduated at Standford University in 1946. He plans to study Far Eastern history and civil rights problems.

John Strohmeyer, reporter, Providence Journal. Born in Cascade, Wis., he was graduated at Muhlenberg College in 1947, then at the Columbia School of Journalism in 1948. He plans to study accounting, finance and politics.

Kenneth E. Wilson, managing editor, Santa Rosa (Calif.) Press Democrat. Born in San Francisco, he was graduated at the University of California (Berkeley) in 1948.

Associate Fellows Chosen

J. H. Fowler, assistant chief of staff (assistant city editor), Sydney Morning Herald, Australia. He plans to study government and economics.

Robert F. Nellson, political writer, Toronto Star, Canada. He plans to study history, government, literature and economics.

Ross C. Sayers, chief reporter (city editor), Auckland Star, New Zealand. He plans to study history, international affairs and U. S. politics.