Varsity Swimming Team Defeats Springfield Squad in 57-38 Meet

The varsity swimming team won the first of hopefully many routine meets when it defeated Springfield College 57 to 38 Saturday night.

In winning, though, the Crimson revealed several weaknesses which must be corrected before the next meet--on Jan. 9 against Army. The varsity won only five of 11 events, including the two crucial relays; of the nine individual events, the Crimson took only three.

Hence it was strictly the varsity's depth which carried it through to victory. In both of the relays, the Crimson's overall balance overpowered Springfield's isolated stars.

Individually, Koni Ulbrich took the 50-yard freestyle, Bob Kaufmann the 100-yard freestyle, and Fred Elizalde and Jim Coffman swept the butterfly.

Besides these expected victories, only virtual domination of the second and third places in every race enabled the Crimson to outscore Springfield's first place winners.

To keep its schedule a routine instead of a tough one, the varsity's key swimmers in the remaining events must improve enough to win, not simply place. The schedule easily permits this, however, with over a month before the next meet.

Encouraging for the Crimson was Gary Pildner's performance in the 200-yard individual medley, where his 2:24.8 time took a second place. Leading until the breast stroke laps, he was then passed by the Gymnasts' leading breast stroker, who maintained his lead through the crawl.

The freshmen won an easy meet, 56 to 21, over the Springfield freshmen.