Powerful Tigers Heavily Favored Over Lacrosse Team Tomorrow

By Paul S. Cowan

The Varsity lacrosse team will face its toughest battle of the season when it meets Princeton's last year's Ivy league champions in New Jersey tomorrow afternoon. Rated as a Class A lacrosse team, the Crimson is Class B, Princeton held the highly rated University of Maryland to an 11-10 victory earlier this season.

It should be an especially rough afternoon for Goalie Chris Stone. He will have to ward off the plethora of Princeton shots sure to come his way without the assistance of Lenny Keyes, the team's outstanding defense man, who cannot make the trip.

Midfielder Dick Parks, injured in Saturday's Penn game, will also be out of action. Tadgh Sweeney did a good job filling in for Parks, Wednesday, but playing him in the starting lineup leaves a hole in the second midfield.

Even with Keyes and Parks out of action, varsity prospects are better than they would have been a week ago. After losing to a much stronger Cornell team two weeks ago, the varsity produced its worst lacrosse of the year against M.I.T.

But in losing to Penn, and in defeating Brown earlier this week, the varsity has shown a marked improvement.

Against Brown, the Crimson came even closer to playing the kind of lacrosse it did on its successful spring trip. The ever-improving Stone played well in the nets, the defense finally turned in a praiseworthy performance, and the attackmen and midfielders pressed the Bruins hard and shot accurately.

If the varsity does manage to beat--or even come close to--the Tigers, it will represent a major miracle for Crimson lacrosse. Last year, despite Dick MacKinnon's 28 saves in the nets, the Tigers overwhelmed the varsity 12 to 3 and they are reputed to be producing the same high-caliber lacrosse this spring.

Starting at attack will be Bohn, Jerry Pyle and Nick Lamont, while Tim Morgan, Charlie Devens and Sweeney will comprise the first midfield At defense, Coach Bruce Munro will open with Bronnie Thayer, Ed Tarlov and Arnie Margolius. Stone will be in the nets.