United Nations Committee Adopts U.S. Bill for Space Cooperation; Steel Firms Consider Joint Aid

By The ASSOCIATED Press

UNITED NATIONS, N.Y., May 6--A U.N. committee approved today a United States plan for getting the world started on international cooperation in the peaceful use of outer space.

The Soviet Union, India, and three other nations boycotted the opening meeting of the group. U.S. Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge proposed to the 18-nation Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space that it set up two separate study groups--one on the scientific and the other on the legal aspects of the subject.

He said that if the nations of the world cooperate, tremendous benefits--such as long-range weather forecasting and improved radio communications--can be expected in the fairly near future from earth satellites.

Steel Pact Proposed

NEW YORK, N.Y., May 6--The steel industry disclosed today that it is considering a mutual aid pact to share profits if only a few steel firms are closed down by a July 1 strike.

The possibility of a partial rather than an industry-wide union strike was raised by Iron Age, the industry trade publication. Relations between the union and companies, though still friendly, began to get a bit more edgy. The union contended that the steel industry mutual aid plan caused the tenseness.

Two-Term Limit Supported

WASHINGTON, May 6--Atty. Gen. William P. Rogers was pictured today as flatly opposed to repeal of the constitutional ban on a president serving more than two terms. He will present this view to the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is considering a move to scrap the 22nd Amendment.