Nine to Face Crusaders In Try for Seventh Win

The varsity baseball team has a good chance to bounce back from its 6-0 loss Wednesday to Brown, when it takes on a relatively weak Holy Cross nine this afternoon at Soldiers Field. A win today will put the team on the winning side of the record book for tomorrow's game here with Cornell.

Holy Cross has not shown any great strength this year, having lost to Dartmouth, the only stiff opposition the team has faced. In their other four contests the Crusaders edged Providence twice, and defeated Williams and A.I.C.

The Holy Cross coach, Jack Barry, who played for Connie Mack's Athletics and managed the Red Sox in 1917, last night bewailed the fact that four of his stars are ineligible to compete this year because they have signed contracts with major league clubs. As a result, Barry has had to construct a team largely out of unproven sophomores, who so far have not shown any great ability. His two remaining seniors, pitchers Bob DeFino and Jim Perina, are both excellent players. However, Barry has slated George Malonowski to hurl today. A sophomore, he may provide the Crimson with a fine opportunity to fatten its batting marks.

Wally Cook will start on the mound for the home team. Cook, another sophomore, to date has compiled an unimpressive 5.00 earned run average, though he pitched quite effectively in his last outing against Columbia a week ago.

With hopes of Gerry Emmet's being able to pitch later this spring dwindling, a good performance by Cook this afternoon would give the team something to cheer about.

On Saturday, the Crimson will face their seventh E.I.B.L. opponent, in Cornell, which Shepard felt, "has it's best team in years." He has slated By Johnson to pitch the Cornell game.