Dining Halls To Be Open For Studying

The manager of the College dining halls has instructed the Houses to allow students to study in dining halls between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinner during the reading and examination periods. In a memorandum to assistant managers in each House, he has also asked them to provide coffee all day.

But many of the Houses seem to be ignoring the order, which was issued Jan. 5. Only Kirkland House has posted the memorandum, and few students are aware of its existence.

Yesterday afternoon the doors to the Kirkland House dining room mysteriously locked about 4 p.m. Eliot House's dining hall was found locked at 3 p.m. Dunster House was turning out the lights at 3:15 p.m.

Lowell House remained open and provided coffee, but failed to inform its students. No one was studying there about 3 p.m. Only one student took advantage of the coffee and the quiet in the Winthrop House dining room during the afternoon.

In a separate development Charles G. Hurlburt Jr., director of the Food Services Department, said yesterday that he would not be opposed to keeping House dining halls open all night during reading and exam periods on two conditions.

He said that the request for such action must come from the individual House Committees and that it must be approved by the Master. He also warned that the dining halls would be closed if the students left them in messy condition after a hard day's night of studying.