'68 Pressure Forces Constitution Change

NEW REFERENDUM FEB. 11

By James C. Ohls

Bowing to the pressure from the freshmen, the HCUA agreed last night to give them more representation in the proposed two-body student government. A new constitution including the modification will be submitted to the student body for approval February 11.

The Council also voted to defeat a motion passed by Michael S. Ansara '68, a member of the ad hoc committee formed in opposition to the new constitution, which would have put a third question, "Are you dissatisfied with both the HCUA and the proposed student government?" on the February referendum ballot along with the simple options of accepting or rejecting the new constitution.

The new constitution is identical to the one defeated by a 1123-966 vote in a student referendum last Thursday except that it calls for the newly created Harvard Undergraduate Council to include four freshmen and for the Harvard Policy Committee to include two. Under the first plan there would have been two freshmen on the HUC and none on the HPC.

William G. Sinkford '68, leader of the freshmen opposition to the original constitution, described his group as "happy" with the new proposal. The Yardlings, who voted 431-90 against the first plan, were credited with its defeat.

Members of both Sinkford's group and the ad hoc committee met with H. Reed Ellis '65, chairman of the HCUA, yesterday afternoon. Everyone present declined to comment on what transpired at the conference. Representatives of both groups also attended the HCUA meeting.

After the meeting, a spokesman for the ad hoc committee accused the Council of "bribing and throwing crumbs" to the freshmen. R. Keith Aufhauser '67 said that his group would "remain adamant" in its opposition to the HCUA's plans.

"We feel that the proposed government would be unrepresentative of the student body as a whole," he said, "and we oppose the concept of divorcing decision-making from policy-making."

Speaking to the Council in favor of the new constitution, Richard C. Minxner '65 of Adams House noted that "what students want here now is probably no government at all. Let's face it. Harvard is never going to be a big Radcliffe or a little Berkeley."

"But," he added, "we should try the new plan for a year and give it a chance." He pointed out that the proposed constitution includes an article which provides for a student referendum to be held within a year of the constitution's ratification in order to determine whether or not students want the constitution to remain in effect.

The Council agreed to distribute copies of the new constitution in the House dining halls at dinner at least two days before the referendum is held.