Reeling Quintet Hopes to Snap Back Against Dartmouth in IAB Tonight

By Richard Andrews

Harvard's basketball team meets Dartmouth tonight in the IAB before going into a three-week exam period hibersation.

The hiatus in the schedule couldn't come a moment too soon. Although the Crimson should eviscerate Dartmouth tonight, Saturday's horrible 70-58 loss to Brown clearly indicates that the millennium in Harvard basketball is not at hand.

The quintet met Dartmouth last week at Hanover, and recorded an easy 96-80 victory. The Indians have an all-sophomore starting lineup; they may be tough to handle a year from now once the get experience, but at the moment they are the patsies of the League.

Dartmouth's only salient asset is height. Their starting five averages 6-4, and that's mighty big for the Ivy League. High scorer on the team is 6-7 center Jack Lockhart, who is averaging 13 points and 10 rebounds per game. The rest of the lineup consists of forwards Gunnar Malm (6-7) and Pete Dunlop (6-5); and guards Bill Engster (6-1) and Lyndon Waugh (6-3).

The Indians were winless in the Ivy League last year, are winless so far this year, and have lost 20 out of their last 21 games overall.

Merle McClung, Barry Williams, Keith Sedlacek, Leo Scully, and Gene Dressler will start for the Crimson as usual. McClung, an All-Ivy selection last year, has been disappointing in League competition so far this season, but he seems to like playing Dartmouth. At Hanover last March he scored 39 points for an all-time Crimson record and against the Indians last week he tallied 32.

Sedlacek's performance has been outstanding since League play began. He scored 29 against Dartmouth, and he is averaging 23.5 points per game in the Ivies and 19.4 overall. At his present pace, the junior from Valley Forge, Pa. would set two new Harvard records for scoring in a season. Sedlacek rates with Penn's brilliant Jeff Neuman as a prime candidate for first team All-Ivy guard.