Football Team Rates the Ivy: Dartmouth 1st

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

Harvard football players couldn't forget last year's lickings when they were asked to predict 1965 Ivy League standings. At least that the way it seemed in a pre-season poll taken among 67 varsity players two weeks ago.

Thirty-one gridders picked Dartmouth, the team that whalloped Harvard 48-0 last season for first place; 21 tabbed Princeton. Princeton was the only other Ivy team to defeat the Crimson last year.

Harvard, of course, didn't care to speculate about its own chances.

Cornell, according to the Crimson players, will be stronger this year and should finish third. Cornell bowed to Harvard 16-0 last year.

Yale was the only team that failed to receive at least one first place vote in the polling and did not rate a single second-place ballot, either.

Columbia, Brown, and Penn battled for the cellar position, with Penn winning the honor, probably on the basis of last year's 34-0 loss to the Crimson.

Here's how the voting went: first place votes are in parentheses, and the total score is based on seven points for each first place vote, six points for each second place vote, five points for each third place vote, etc. Dartmouth (31)  417 Princeton (21)  390 Cornell (10)  341 Yale (0)  224 Columbia (3)  184 Brown (1)  168 Penn (1)  152