Taylor to Head Nieman Finances

W. Davis Taylor '31, publisher of the Boston Globe, will serve as chairman of the National Nieman Fund Committee, the University News office disclosed yesterday.

About 30 leaders in newspaper publishing and editing will work on the committee to devise a fund-raising program to match a $1.2 million Ford Foundation grant awarded last April.

The money will be used to double the number of Nieman Fellowships and establish an annual Institute for top editorial and publishing executives, who may be over the Nieman Fellow age limit of 40.

General plans for the Institute depict it as a four-to-six-week program with intensive seminars on important news areas, like Southeast Asia or the European Market. The first Institute will hopefully be held during the winter of 1966-67 for about 25 editors and publishers.

Five new Nieman Fellowships were awarded this year (bringing the total to 13) in anticipation of the new funds. When the grant is realized two or three more Niemans will be added. The weekly stipends of the Fellows also have been increased this year and will probably rise further with the enlargement of the program.

Regular Nieman Fellows spend a year of unrestricted study at Harvard under the guidance of Faculty members and Dwight E. Sargent, Curator of the Foundation.

With the expansion of the program, it is hoped that the publication Nieman Reports will be developed into "the most significant journal for journalists in the world," President Pusey said in announcing Taylor's chairmanship. An expansion of the Nieman Library of Contemporary Journalism is also planned.

Members of the fund raising committee will be drawn from all over the country and will be announced in a few weeks. Under the provisions of the grant the committee must raise the matching funds within three years.

Taylor was not available last night for comment on his appointment. He and Sargent are currently in California on business of the Foundation