Comet May Hit Sun Tomorrow

A cosmic spectacle of a somewhat unpredictable nature will take place to-night when Comet Ikeya-Seki grazes by the surface of the sun at a million miles an hour.

Since the discovery of the comet a month ago, a team of Soviet astronomers has predicted that it will collide with the sun instead of passing by it. American scientists maintain that it will make it by, but they are puzzled by observations that show the comet to be much hotter than expected. They also admit the possibility of an explosion due to solar stresses.

Cambridge star-gazers are poorly placed for watching this closest approach to the sun, for it will occur shortly after midnight. Yet the comet is expected to be so spectacular and bright that some of its long tall may protrude above the horizon. Because of its orbital peculiarities, this glowing tall should appear in the west at midnight, swinging around to the north by 1:30 and over to the east in time to rise before the sun.

If the anticipated break-up takes place, expeditions from the various Houses will see a phenomenon similar to the comet of 1882, which split into four smaller comets.