Chaffee Skis to Second As Team Finishes Sixth

By Jonathan Schell

Jon Chaffee took second place in the cross-country at Williams last weekend, and the Harvard ski team placed sixth behind first-place Middlebury.

Chaffee's time on the rolling fifteen kilometer course was 66 min. 3 sec., less than two minutes behind first-place Dave of Middlebury (64 min. 15 sec.). In the Giant Slalom Harvard was sixth with 88 points, with Ned Cabot leading the team with a twenty-second place finish.

Harvard placed fourth in the regular slalom with 37 points. Steve Blodgett led the team with a time of 110 seconds after two runs. Roger Buchika of Middlebury won the event with a time of seconds.

In the jump, traditionally Harvard's weakest event, the Crimson placed seventh, with Fred Noyes who finished eighteenth leading the team.

The Crimson skiers finished one place higher than they did at Dartmouth last weekend. The most disappointing showing of the weekend was in the Giant Slalom where a number of falls crippled the team's score

The Harvard ski-team's physical location puts it at a great disadvantage as it cannot practice as much as the rural northern teams.

The psychological adjustment also creates problems. As one ex-member of the team put it. "These four day week-ends are a real problem. On Wednesday you're in Lamont, wondering "Is the ontological proof of God's existence valid?" and Friday morning at eight o'clock you're at the top of a mountain wondering "How can I get down this mountain in less than a minute without breaking my neck."