Interhouse Is Extended; More Eat at Radcliffe

By Sanford J. Ungar

The administration will extend free Harvard-Radcliffe interhouse dining for the rest of the semester to get reliable statistics on the program.

During the first 20 days of March, 241 more meals were taken on interhouse at Radcliffe than at Harvard, Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant dean of the Faculty for resources and planning, said yesterday. In February the program had showed a 90 meal imbalance in the other direction.

Harvard's overzealousness has surprised some officials, who had originally feared that Radcliffe's dining halls would owe Harvard's dining halls large sums to redress the imbalance. The March figures indicate that Harvard owes Radcliffe about $360.

This second check on interhouse showed a huge increase in the number of meals taken. In the 20-day period 1199 Harvard men ate at the 'Cliffe and 958 Cliffies at Harvard under interhouse. The figures include special tables at both schools and the addition of the Radcliffe cooperatives to the experiment.

Trottenberg said yesterday that the volume of interhouse dining was as surprising as the direction of the imbalance. He admitted to some suspicion of the March figures and said he will check to see that no one has miscounted.

An extension of interhouse through April and May is necessary, Trottenberg said, to permit it a "fair test." It is hoped that approximately the same number of meals will eventually be taken at each school.

Encouraged by the operation of interhouse so far, Trottenberg said a decision about next year will be made on the basis of the entire semester. As an officer of both schools, he will recommend to the Harvard Masters and the Radcliffe administration the action they should take.