Crimson Stickmen Oppose Strong Brown Squad Here

By Susan Engelke

The Crimson lacrosse team goes after its first Ivy victory against a strong Brown at 3 p.m. on the Business School field.

The Bruins, who had a good Southern tour and rate as title contenders, have scored successive wins over Yale and New Hampshire after a tough loss to Penn. Chair record is 3-3, and 1-1 against Ivy opponents.

Crimson coach Bruce Munro looks for a tight contest today. The Crimson, playing most of the game without top defenseman Fred Gates and first-string goalie Peter lost to Penn by three goals on Saturday. Penn defeated Brown by one goal, the previous week.

On the basis of comparative scores and an improving Crimson attack, the Crimson might rate a slight edge if they were able to play at full strength.

Unfortunately, Gates reinjured his leg in the Penn game and will miss today's catch and possibly Saturday's at Cornell as well. Defenseman Dan Calderwood and Harry Van Oudenallen, both still recovering from injuries, will start, but may not be able to play much this afternoon.

Brown Better

Even though Brown lost to Penn, Munro thinks the Bruins are a better team. The men who officiated the Brown-Penn contest said the Bruins played considerable below their potential and rate them about six-goals better than Penn.

The outcome today will depend on the troublesome Crimson midfield. Jan Bollinger, Bruce Caputo, and Larry Palmer have played well consistently, but Munro is worried because "we are just not getting the scoring."

The team's face off at 3 p.m. in the Crimson's last League contest in Cambridge before the May 15 Yale game.

Brown Better

Brown Better

Brown Better