Crimson Baseball Squad Battles Lions, Princeton In Key League Contests

By R.andrew Beyer

Harvard's baseball team plays this weekend at Princeton and Columbia--and the Crimson must win both contests to retain more than the slimmest mathematical possibility of repeating as EIBL champions.

Princeon has compiled a 3-2 record in their games since the spring vacation. The Tigers have lost to Villasova and Navy, and beat Army, Seton Hall, and Rutgers.

The Tigers had a mediocre 3-15-1 season last year, but two top pitchers are returning from that squad: John Redpath and Tom Scott. They compiled earned run averages of 2.30 and 2.62 respectively, appearing in 20 of Princeton's 24 games. They have improved this season, and only one team, Villanova, has been able to score more than two runs against the Tigers.

Princeton's hitting is rather weak, however, and the only ultra-consistent Tiger batter is Jack Singer, an outfielder whose average is in the vicinity of .400.

Columbia should give the Crimson an even tougher battle than Princeton. A perennially strong team, the Lions have won eight of nine games this year, Columbia opened their league campaign by murdering Penn, 15 to 0, and whipped Dartmouth on Friday.

The Lions' leading hitter is outfielder Reg Maton, whose average is above .450, but the New Yorkers' whole batting order is strong. Basketball star Neil Farber, sophomore Dave Hillis, and All-American Boy Archie Roberts give the team a deep pitching staff.

The Crimson nine, after a disappointing start, has won its last two games and could move into contention in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League by winning two this weekend. Columbia currently leads the loop with a 2-0 record; Navy is second at 2-1. Harvard has a 1-1 mark.