BRC Tops Ruggers, 13-3; Crimson's Spector Scores

By Beth Edelmann

Five minutes after the start of Saturday's rugby "A" game, a middle-aged gentleman with a beard and a British act came up to me and asked which team is Harvard. I told him that the Crimson was in red and white, and he told that the other team was the Boston rugby Club.

With that point clarified, I turned to other Briton, scarred from his day on the playing fields of Eton, to find out the of the game. But by the time I tell a scrum from a line-in. Harvard was on its way to a 13-3 defeat, and the first half was over.

The BRC was awfully big and awfully . Mike Stepanion scored their first goal early in the match, after the BRC had vered their way down the field by ning a succession of line-ins. Minutes , Frank Yeomans took a stolen Harvard pass deep in the Crimson's own ariitery, ran it over, and touched it . Jim Smith spilt the uprights with conversion attempt, bringing the is .

Harvard's attackers pushed close to the BRC goal-line several times in the first half, but erratic kicking and an inability to pick up the ball and carry it kept them from paydirt. One well-executed series of passes, however, freed Quentin Spector, who rammed the ball through the BRC defenders to make the score at half-time 8-3.

Harvard fought back in the second half, as Pit Marshal and Gage McAfee led repeated charges toward the goal. But four missed penalty kicks, one from only ten yards out, kept the Crimson from the scoreboard.

The BRC sewed up the game with five minutes left when Dave Coke broke clear with a beautiful fake, and carried the ball in. Andy Wright's conversion made the final score 13-3.

As the gun, the teams joined forces for a "hip, hip, hooray," and the scarred Englishmen slapped me on the back. "Rugby's a letter-off of steam," he said. "It's a jolly game for men who haven't grown up,"-and for little girls who want to grow up to be sportswriters.