Army Shuts Out Crimson Batters

Harvard's big, bad hitters blow down Brown's house of straw and M.I.T.'s house of wood, but Saturday they ran up against Army's house of bricks, artfully constructed by ace pitcher Barry DeBolt and lost 1 to 0 in ten innings at West Point.

With the score tied 0-0, DeBolt flew out to lead off the bottom of the tenth inning. Army's Gene Atkinson then blasted a triple to right field and Bob Fazen lofted a foul behind first base. Harvard's Joe O'Donnell, running hard, took the ball with his back to the plate and hesitated as Atkinson broke for home. O'Donnell's throw bounded in front of Crimson catcher Gary Miller and Atkinson scored.

Two Double Plays

DeBolt choked off the Harvard attack, allowing only three hits and striking out nine, but the Crimson's Jim McCandlish performed almost as well, scattering nine hits. The Harvard defense backed McCandlish up with a pair of double plays.

Harvard's most serious threat came in the fourth, when Neil Houston doubled and Tom Bilodeau followed with a walk. John Dockery's sacrifice bunt moved them to second and third. When O'Donnell grounded sharply to Fazen at second base, Houston tried to score and was thrown out by a step. Dan Hootstein then stroked a rising line drive to ward right field, but Fasen west high in the air to trap it and end the inning.