Harvard Wins 5 of 24 Marshalls For Two Years' Study in Britain

Four Harvard seniors and a teaching fellow have been awarded Marshall scholarships for two years of study at any of Great Britain's 27 universities.

The only other American college with more than one of the 24 scholarship winners announced this year is Princeton, with three.

The Harvard awardees include Lenn E. Goodman, of Eliot House and Los Angeles, Calif, who will concentrate in Oriental studies at Corpus Christi College, Oxford.

James M. Hersog, of Quincy House and Lockport, N.Y., will study physiology at the University of Edinburgh. Philip D. Straffin, of Adams House and Scarsdale, N.Y., will do research in mathematics at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.

The other Harvard senior is Robert F. Wagner, of Lowell House and New York City, who will study modern history at the University of Sussex.

Joseph C. Harris, of 7 Dans St. and Atlanta, Ga., will study English at Magdalene College, Cambridge. Harris, a teaching fellow in English, graduated from the University of Georgia in 1961. He spent a year at Goethe University in Frankfort before coming to Harvard in 1962.

This year's grants bring to 216 the number of Marshall Scholarships awarded by the British government since the program began in 1953.