Track Team Wallops Elis, 108-46

The undefeated track team established itself as the prohibitive favorite for this week's Heptagonal championships with a 108-46 bludgeoning of Yale Saturday in New Haven.

The Crimson's two biggest question marks, two-miler Walt Howlett and high-jumper Chris Pardee, are now men to beat in the Heps, on the strength of their convincing wins in Saturday's rout.

Hewlett, making his first appearance of the outdoor season, trotted the first mile of his race and was languishing in fourth place at the half-way mark. But he took the lead on the next lap with an astonishing 1:04 quarter and breezed home the winner in 9:16.7.

Pardee Shines

Pardee, hobbled by a sprained ankle during the first month of the season, tried a full run-up for the first time this spring. Kim Hill, Yale's indoor Heptagonal champion, looked like the winner until Pardee slid over 6 ft., 6 in, on his first try.

Hill managed 6 ft., 7 in, on his second jump and when neither could top 6 ft., 8 1/2 in., Pardee was declared the winner on fewer misses.

Surprise

There were other pleasant surprises for the Crimson. In the 880, John Ogden and Keith Chiappa held off a late challenge by Yale's Jon Lieff, to finish one-two. Ogden's time was 1:55.1, and Chiappa and Lieff were both clocked a tenth of a second slower.

Running against a strong wind, sophomore flash Wayne Anderson won the 100 (0:10.2) and the 200 (0:22.4). Aggrey Awori was runner-up in the shorter sprint and Michael Hauck was an encouraging second in the 220, beating out formidable Henry Cole of Yale.

Sam Robinson edged Cole in the 440 with a 0:48.6 clocking around two turns. The Crimson's John Parker was third.

Awori won the broad jump (22 ft., 4 1/2 in.) and nipped Tony Lynch in the 120-yard high hurdles. Both men were timed in 0:14.7.

Lynch was the easy winner in, the 440-yard hurdles with a meet-record time of 0:51.9.

John Bakkensen set another meet mark with a 174 ft., 9 1/2 in. discus throw. Bakkensen's shadow Bill Pfeiffer once again took second place.

The Crimson's mile relay squad won in 3:16.6, and the sprint foursome topped the Elis with a 0:42.0 clocking. Dependable Art Croasdale took first in the hammer throw with a 178 ft., 6 1/2 in, toss.