Tennis Team Defeats Army, 6-3, Awaits Home Opener Versus Penn

Harvard's undefeated tennis team scored an impressive 6-3 triumph over Army Wednesday in preparation for its crucial home opener against Penn, tomorrow.

The Crimson netmen needed their finest effort of the season to defeat the veteran Army squad. John Levin and Kent Parrot won tight three-set matches to provide the margin of victory. Rocky Jarvis and Terry Oxford added decisive singles wins.

Levin displayed great pressure tennis as he squeaked by Army star Barry Conway 6-4, 0-6, 10-8. Last year Levin suffered a lopsided loss to Conway. "John's game has improved 30 per cent since then," according to coach Jack Barnaby. "Last year John aspired to play great tennis. Now he has proved he can do it," Barnaby added.

Icing on the Cake

Parrot's performance was the icing on the cake. The hockey ace returned from his honeymoon just in time to make the trip to West Point. Completely untested this season, Parrot responded with a 6-1, 3-6, 7-5 triumph at number four singles.

Harvard's only singles losses came at the number three and six positions where captain Jose Gonzales and Steve Devereux dropped tight contests.

In the doubles, Levin and Jarvis broke service twice in each set and served out the number one match 6-3, 6-3.

Teaming together for the first time, Gonzales and Parrot lost at number two doubles. Larry Terrell and Rick Sterne posted their second consecutive victory at number three, winning 6-4, 6-4.

Most Important Match

This Saturday Harvard will battle Penn in what should prove to be the most important match of the season. Picked along with Princeton as the Ivy League favorite, Penn boasts a wealth of tennis talent led by sophomore sensation Hugh Curry. "Penn has some very strong players," admits Barnaby, "but we do too. Our victories against Amherst and Army proved that."

Despite its undefeated record and home court advantage, Harvard will enter the match as an underdog. To defeat Penn, the Crimson must play sensational tennis. Fortunately, they are capable of such a performance.

Levin will have his hands full with Curry, a nationally-ranked player. The result of this match could be indicative of the entire team outcome.

Like Levin, Jarvis goes into the Penn match with a perfect record. He looks just as impressive this year playing number two as he did last year at the number four position. "The Rock" has his game in tune and he is ready to roll.

Although Gonzales lost against Army, Barnaby is confident his captain can come back against Penn. "Jose improves with every match," Barnaby said.

The difference between Penn and Harvard develops at the lower singles spots where Harvard lacks experience. Parrot and Oxford are both undefeated and could surprise their opponents. Devereux, Terrell, Bo Jones, and Bruce Wiegand are all battling for the number six position.