Stickwomen Demolish Cornell, Remain Undefeated

Mleczko, Linsley, York Notch Goals in 3-0 Triumph

By David Clarke

The undefeated Radcliffe hockey team continued on its merry way Saturday, blasting a strong Cornell squad, 3-0. The Crimson stickwomen have scored 11 goals against their four overmatched foes while allowing only a single tally.

The Big Red squad that visited rainy Cambridge was a collection of strong individual talents. "The game wasn't easy," Crimson captain Ann Dupuis said yesterday. "They were good, big, and strong, but we beat them with conditioning and team play. We worked very well together."

Completely Dominated

The Radcliffe offense dominated the game completely, with the strong front line of Gwill York, Karen Linsley, Jenny Stone, and freshman scoring ace Sarah Mleczko making sure that Dupuis and her defensive cohorts rarely saw the ball in their end.

Working to perfection, the attack produced a number of break-aways and other scoring opportunities, but the stick-women were able to capitalize only once in the first half, on a score by Mleczko. At that point, she had notched six of the team's nine goals for the season.

After the half-time intermission, the Crimson was guilty briefly of letting the offensive pressure slack off. "But when Cornell started to take advantage of it, we came back," Dupuis said yesterday.

Renewed Assault

The renewed assault was more than the Big Red could handle. First, Linsley fired in the goal that put Radcliffe up by two. Later, York put the icing on the cake with the final goal of the hard-fought contest. All the defense had to do then was sit back and insure its third shutout of the young campaign.

Tomorrow, the stickwomen must travel to Norton to face perhaps their stiffest test to date. After calmly strangling B.U., Bates, Tufts and now Cornell in the familiar confines of Cambridge, the squad must go on the road and face currently undefeated Wheaton.

'Up for Game'

We're obviously very up for that game," defensive sweeper Dupuis said yesterday. "We have to fight the urge to be cocky, so I guess I'm glad that Wheaton is also undefeated. We won't be overconfident. Although we really don't know much about them, I'm sure that it will be one of our tougher games.

The away game against Wheaton is just the beginning of the traveling the stick-women must do. In the next two weeks, they must go on the road to face Ivy foes Dartmouth and Princeton.