Recycling Delayed

News Short

By Sarah A. Stahl

Disorganization and inefficiency caused the four-week delay in starting Harvard's paper recycling program this year, the program's student coordinator said yesterday.

Douglas M. Poutasse '78, the coordinator, said recycling was in full-scale operation during mid-October last year, but now only administrative offices and six of the 12 residential Houses have their papers picked up for recycling.

Poutasse said he decided to wait four weeks before renting a truck to collect the papers so there would be enough for a large pick-up. But he also said he did not have enough time in the beginning of the year to organize the program.

The unexplained delay had caused some students to stop saving their papers, and now more time will have to be spent soliciting support, Poutasse said.

Since the program is student-run, different people organize it each year and a lot of time is wasted, Poutasse said. He added it would be more efficient if a University employee were in charge of it, but said the program should be run by a student who favours it ideologically.

"From the University's point of view, it really isn't necessary except as P.R.," Poutasse said.