School of Education Observes Martin Luther King's Birthday

By Matthew H. Lynch

"Martin Luther King's work must become our own," Charles V. Willie, professor of Education and Urban Studies, said Monday at a program held in Longfellow Hall in commemoration of King's birth.

The program presented readings describing King's life, including comments from his wife, Coretta Scott King, and Benjamin E. Mays, former president of Morehouse College in Atlanta, Ga., King's alma mater. The presentation also included a recording of King's 1963 "I Have a Dream" speech.

Benign Neglect

"It is both strange and ironic that the nation remembers Martin Luther King's birthday if it continues to ignore the conditions that led to his death," Willie said.

He added, "Make no mistake, the American people are responsible for Martin Luther King's death."

Willie said, however, the anniversary of King's birth should not be a cause for sorrow, but for celebration.

"King desperately wanted to save this nation," Willie said.

The sponsor of the event, the Caucus on Community and Urban Education, consists of 17 faculty and students at the School of Education. The group organized in October to develop a curriculum--to be presented to the Ed School this Spring--which would provide training in urban education and community organization.