Marxist Tripe

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

As a Harvard graduate of the Class of 1946 who was drafted for a total of three years' service from April 1943 to 1946, may I say that Daniel Ellsberg, as quoted by the Times a few days ago--"unquestioned obedience is demanded of today's young people"--is talking a lot of tripe.

There is such a thing as abnormal and normal psychology. It is abnormal psychology to persistently call in question the demands of a government which is quite clearly carrying out its functions in a reasonably law-abiding and responsible manner. Either that, or constant Marxist pressure on the universities! The irrational response of protesting under all and any circumstances, quite clearly comes from the latter.

As to David Dellinger at Yale, who speaks of the West being a greater threat to world peace than the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, when people start using the rhetoric of "threats to world peace," we all know where that comes from, too!

From the experience of attending Columbia University as a graduate student last year, I can only say that these radicals, when it gets to the "nitty-gritty," use Marxist rhetoric to defend the business establishment. Their real motivation is a kind of disguised and aggressive defense of the president status quo. They thrive on injustice, because it gives them the only power they will ever know. Jerome Minot '46