HMS Holds Gay Issues Conference

By Steven G. Dickstein

An unprecedented discussion of the nature of homosexuality will take place tomorrow at a conference at the Medical School.

The symposium, entitled the "Biological Nature of Homosexuality and the Psychological Development of Homosexual Men and Women" will feature presentations by eight top researchers in the field.

Sparking interest and informed dialogue on the subject is one of the goals of the symposium, student organizers said.

The students want to make a strong statement that homosexuality is biologically part of a person, said Eddy Machtinger, a second year medical student and a co-organizer of the event.

"Whatever the causes, our sexuality is not a choice," Machtinger said. "But to politicians deciding the fate of gay civil rights issues, it's important."

Machtinger said that psychologists and biologists had never before combined to discuss the issue. He explained that this is part of the recent change in terminology, from "sexual preference" to "sexual orientation."

The response to the symposium has been overwhelming so far, said Machtinger. As the auditorium space at the Medical Education Center, which seats 200, had already been oversubscribed, a television monitor will be set up in the atrium to accomodate others who want to see the speeches. Undergraduates are welcome, Machtinger said.

Medical students in the organization for gays, lesbians and bisexuals at the School of Medicine began organizing the forum last September.

The morning events will include presentations on the biological issues, mainly concerning evidence pointing towards a physiologic or genetic disposition toward homosexuality.

Among the speakers are Richard Pillard, professor of psychiatry at Boston University Medical School; Simon Levay, from the Institute of Gay and Lesbian Studies in California; and Evan S. Balaban, assistant professor of biology at Harvard.

The afternoon speakers will address the psychological and developmental issues of homosexuality.

The four presenters include Camille Paglia, the controversial author of Sexual Personae, Dr. Richard Isay, professor of psychiatry and author of a book on male homosexual development; April Martin, a lesbian development scholar at Yeshiva University; and Dr. Lawrence Hartmann, professor of psychiatry and former president of the American Psychiatric Association.